Console emulators have always been a great use-case for Flatpak since they are a pain to build, sometimes proprietary, and not allowed in some distributions. As such I, with some help, have been packaging a few of the more popular and maintained emulators lately and thought I would mention them and keep a semi-maintained table for future reference.
All applications in my repository are considered experimental, are likely built directly from git, and may or may not work or be supported.
Forgive the current version of this websites theme not rendering the table very well, that is fixed in the next version.
|Game Boy Advance||mGBA||io.mgba.mGBA||flathub|
* RetroArch supports over a dozen consoles but some highlights not handled elsewhere: DS, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy, Game Boy Color
This list would be longer but as mentioned emulators are often quite a pain to build or distribute. Some failures have been:
- epsxe for the PS1 which is a proprietary core and doesn’t work with some third-party awful plugins (some foss, all bad) on top.
- PCSX-Reloaded which works but is a dead project.
- Mupen64Plus which has no UI, third-party ones exist which I might investigate.
- Play! for the PS2 which is still early in development.
- Higan required some patches but works fine I was just petty and too annoyed by its UI to package it.
- DeSmuME for the DS had some C++ build errors I didn’t feel like getting into as melonDS seems like a more promising future there anyway.
So that is all so far; Let me know if there are some emulators you’d like packaged.